Thursday, July 11, 2013

Cannes, France



It's taken me over a month to get this blog post where I want it. I took over a thousand photos and journaled every day. It is hard deciding what events hit the cutting room floor.  This trip was overwhelming and jam packed full of great experiences, unforgettable memories and delicious food. I photographed every meal I had. 
I hope this post gives you an idea of how impactful the trip was. I started and ended my trip to France in Paris but this post starts the day I arrived in Cannes...


Sunday May 12th- Let me start by sharing with you that until this point I was mispronouncing Cannes, like most people. The proper pronunciation is not "Kahn" (From Star Trek, sounds like "kon") or even "Cans" As in "beer cans." It is right in the middle like "Can" (a singular beer can.)

The train ride to Cannes from Paris is everything I hope it would be. My only point of reference is Meg Ryan's train ride in French Kiss. My cabin is small but not full. I am exhausted and manage to sleep for most of the 6 hour ride. As I daydream of the festival to come I treat myself to a celebratory lunch beer in the cafe upstairs where I took this photo.


The last hour of the train is a long and anxious one, I am only able to truly relax when the train stops and we arrive in Cannes. Until this point, I had been hauling around a suitcase full of 2 weeks worth of clothes one one directional wheels. (Did I mention there are no escalators in the subways of Paris.) 

First impressions are important in all things. When I step out of an airport I never forget my first moments in a new place. Cannes did not disappoint, it was sunnier and warmer than Paris. I take a taxi to the Pierre & Vacances Residence in Cannes La Bocca, my new home for the next few weeks. 


Greeted by the friendly staff and mentors of The American Pavilion we get the run down: Room numbers, pad lock codes, emergency phone numbers, security numbers, wifi passwords. Overwhelming and exciting! I take my nifty new SAG sponsored book bag, hat and my folder  full of important info to the 7th floor and meet my first roommate, Colby.  I lucked out, she's incredible!
Colby Hoyer

The closet next to the one I choose holds all of our evening gowns: sequence, chiffon, tulle and satin fabrics hang lavishly on dozens of hangers itching to be worn. But tonight is not that night! Still jet lagged, everyone meets downstairs at Boca Croque, a baguette sandwich shop attached to the hotel owned by Nicolai and his dad who give us a bottle of wine on the house as a "Welcome to the neighborhood!"

Nicolai 

Monday May 13th-We tour the town of Cannes La Boca, 10 minutes away from the city of Cannes and buy a week long bus ticket to travel to and from Cannes during the festival, in case the shuttle runs late.

Kevin Sandler, my mentor



We walk along the French Riviera for 30 minutes to get to a University where more of the orientation is held. The walk is about a mile long with an incredible view. The skies were clear and the coast never left our side. I have a tan by the time we arrive, and did I mention that the coast is a topless beach?
Beach in Cannes La Boca



The orientation gives us the opportunity to meet the Staff and mentors of The American Pavilion. 
With new friendships forming, a group of us gather on a balcony at the hotel to revel in our excitement 



Ally, Courtney, Kristen
Tuesday May 14th- We congregate by the pool and receive our badges and uniforms. We learn what our jobs are and talk a little bit about what to expect at the festival.


All of the interns gather on the Dubussy steps and take this group photo. It was hilarious watching the mentors try to hurdle us like cattle onto the steps.

2013 American Pavilion Interns

The Palais is where the majority of the festival is held. We make what feels like five right turns and end up on a different floor. This layout will take a while to understand and navigate.


We visit the Lumiere stage which is going to host the opening gala. It seats 2,300 people. I was one of the few who snapped a photo before we were kicked out.


Me and Colby in one of the Marche theatres
This is the entrance to the Lumiere Theatre, where all of the "red carpet" photos are taken before premieres. 

The American Pavilion was under construction during our last bit of orientation, so we meet with Armand on the deck with the French Riviera as our back drop.


Wednesday May 15th- Day 1 of the festival means day one of working. My job is in programming, Amy, our boss, is in charge of the panels and we set them up and break them down as well as receiving the panelist and acting as guest services while they're there. 
Programmers: Colby, Amanda, Megan, Amy, Me, Briana
You should NEVER take your job too seriously.

The Panels provided by the American Pavilion:
3D Content Creation: From script to business
Women in Film
Getting your film to Market:Marketing + Distribution tips from the experts
Digital Hollywood
American Directors in Cannes
Financing a Film in 2013
State of the Indie film Industry
American Producers in Cannes
Music in Film
We Are Who We are (Film)
Will Forte (Nebraska)
In Honor of Roger Ebert




The Great Gatsby Directed by Baz Luhrman is the opening film. The American Pavilion tries to get as many film tickets possible for interns but because there are more interns than there are tickets they are raffled. I put my name in the raffle for The Great Gatsby premiere and won!

Bri, me, Nichole, Colby, Savy

Celebratory dinner for our win! I order Beef tar tare (raw beef with horse radish and a raw egg). 

Beef Tartar

You can't tell, but we are soaking wet

We run, in the rain, to the Lumiere! We squeeze into the line while hundreds of people share a long line of umbrellas. We sacrifice good seats to spend a little extra time on the red carpet and lobby. 





Leo!
Red Carpet ready


We receive $200 pairs of 3D glasses and find our seats. I shivere through the whole film from the rain. The cinematic era of the 20s combined with Luhrman's great taste in music put me in a pretty nostalgic mood, I soon forgot how cold I was. Crazy camera movements and beautiful colors really made use of 3D, and I usually don't like 3D.



Thursday May 16th- A snail keeps me and my morning coffee company. It's appropriate seeing as I have a new found taste for escargot.




First shift is very easy. I checke in the panelist as they arrived and show them to a lounge where they have refreshments before the panel. 


We set up the table with placards and mics and water and wait for the panel to start. Once it's over we host a Q&A. 

After our shift, my roommate, Colby, and I have time to watch a movie in the Marche: The Ganzfeld Experiment. There are five other people in the theatre. I see some of the people leave after a few minutes and remember what is going on. The films screening in these theaters are up for purchase and "Buyers" are invited to make an offer on the films. If they aren't interested, they leave. Only one buyer was left by the end, but we saw the whole thing through, painful as it was.



Later that afternoon we rush the line for the Bling Ring. The rush line is insane, a lady crawled under a rope to jump the line and I've never wanted to hurt someone more. Like grab her by her hair and swing her into traffic. Regardless, we all got into the screening.
I am really excited to see this film. I read about The Bling Ring last year, and to be here with the opportunity to see it early is really exciting. I catch myself glancing down the balcony to see Emma Watson's and Sofia's reactions to the film.



After the screening we go outside to get a glimpse of the cast and crew. Little to my knowledge, I am standing next to Paris Hilton while we wait. I was so eager to see Sofia I never looked to my right to notice Paris also waiting. 


We make our way down to the Artist entrance where Sofia Coppola stops to take a photo with us thanks to Colby!



At the artist entrance we make a friend, Quentin Dupuy, an actor and a writer from Paris and Moose, his friend. They get us into a private party thrown by Paris Premiere. Good music and dancing, complimentary champagne and several photos in a photo booth later we head for our next adventure. 





Happy accident bumping into these beauties. 

Friday may 17th- Having my short film, Helpless, in the Short Film Corner has its perks! Not only do I have access to tickets that are difficult to get, but I also get a sweet shwag bag with a festival program and other goodies! I also get access to a daily 5pm party at the short film corner every day, free wine and beer.
This morning I show up to the pavilion and one of the interns recognizes me from a magazine. Our Thursday night photo boothing made it into the official Cannes "Last Night" Magazine!
After my shift I am so exhausted I decide to call it an early night and have pizza at Cresci, the "best pizza in Cannes".


Yes, those are anchovies on my pizza.

Saturday May 18th- I venture out in Cannes La Bocca, in the rain, by my lonesome to the Post office. No one speaks English so it is frustrating to figure out how to mail a package. I send it with doubt that it will reach my mom, but I know she would appreciate the herbs de provence.

The Palais has an amazing perk, a Nespresso Bar where you can taste many different espressos. A Hawaiian espresso from Kona was featured and warmed me down to my toes.



Colby, Amanda, Austin and I wander around the Marche and took a chance on the film, Mariah Mundi and the Midas Box. I am thoroughly entertained by Michael Sheen and Lena Heady.


I knew it was ambitious of us to try to get in to Much Ado about Nothing by Joss Whedon but we try anyways to no avail. We dine at NY, NY, a restaurant with an incredible reputation for great food.  Unfortunately the service was TERRIBLE! We waited forever for drinks and the food took forever and to top it off, the server was rude. The very first rude server I had in France, in fact. My friend, Max, ordered a salmon pasta which may have been the best thing I'd tasted yet.

Pizza with ham, mac and cheese and pasta bolognese. 
I don't know how we had room, but Savy recommended a wonderful gelato place called Amorino. They'll give you any flavor you want and make your cone look like a flower! L'inimitabile was a hazelnut flavor that changed my life.


Sunday May 19th- I saw the documentary Black Fish today. I was wandered around the Marche and I wanted to watch a movie. In order to get into the film I have to leave my business card at the door. (I'm assuming that has to do with the buyers that attend.) It is one of those films where you feel changed afterward. I love films that do that to you, the ones who impact a change.
It's about the notorious Killer Whale, Tilicum, who is responsible for the deaths of three individuals including two trainers.  Black Fish really brings to light the consequences of keeping such intelligent wild creatures in captivity. There are startling images and interviews that left me feeling a little lost afterward. My entire opinion about Sea World changed by learning about the trainers. I made it a point to visit Sea World annually when I lived in San Diego.


I couldn't stop thinking about the Salmon pasta so I convince some friends to brave NY, NY again. Fortunately, our experience and our server was better which made up for the night before


Time to get ready for American Pavilion's Queer Night with a bottle of wine. The Pavilion turns into a night club with some amazing music and lots of booze. Everyone danced the night away.




Monday May 20th-We rushed As I Lay Dying, Directed by James Franco. James Franco, the English master degree holder he is, adapted the Faulkner novel using split screen and direct-to-camera address techniques. For the average film goer it may be a little too unconventional. But if film school has taught me one thing, it's that there are a million ways to shoot and cut a film.



Tuesday May 21st- "And lots of wavy hair like Liberace!" I used my points for the first time on Soderbergh's (last film) Behind the Candelabra at 8am. Not one Hollywood studio would finance this film because of it's frankness so it went straight to HBO the same time it was theatrically released in Europe. Michael Douglass really impressed me with his portrayal of Liberace.


Great panels today, including a round table with James Franco. Instead of having a public panel for all the members of the American Pavilion, he wanted a private round table with just the interns. He talked about his film, As I Lay Dying, and the process of writing an adaptation of a novel by Faulkner.


We ventured off to the French Riviera to watch Jaws on the beach on a big beautiful screen on the beach that screens classic films for the festival.


We attempted (and succeeded) to smuggle in beer, wine and champagne (Since they were not serving any at the venue.)  Richard Dreyfuss introduced the film.





To pass the time, Amanda and Austin spent about a 1/2 an hour playing with Photo Booth on my ipad. After the film started, so did a short firework show. It only added to the magic of the night. The temperature dropped and made us a little uncomfortable but It's still been my favorite night so far.

Wednedsay May 22nd- I visited the Cannes fresh market today, bought fresh tapenade and cheese and baguettes.  I made a promise to myself to learn more about different cheeses because I had never heard of half of them.



Everyone has been talking about an Irish bar, Ma Nolans with live music and great food, when I checked it out I was not disappointed! The wait staff were so friendly and happy and a lot of the interns were there.



Thursday May 23rd- Only God Forgives is screening at the Soixantiem theatre. I am most excited to see this film because of how much I loved Drive. This is Nicolas Winding Refn's follow up film with Ryan Gosling.  It was in such high demand that I was unable to get in. Instead I had lunch at a great Italian restaurant right next to the Cannes market.
Cheese filled ravioli with basil sauce.
Amazing salmon pasta
Retail therapy time, I checked out a couple of local boutiques and the Monoprix (kind to a Walmart) to stock up on some souvenirs.
With my new goodies I decided to brave the post office again. This time a nice man translated and explained that I shouldn't mail a package without a solid return address.

All I seem to do here is eat. But I don't care one bit. Dinner is at Ma Nolan's again, the Irish bar that's become a festival favorite! I tried the delicious Guinness pot pie.


We take our full bellies to the Pavilion for the karaoke party and go BACK to the Irish bar for more fun times!
Fun video by Eric Ita: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQw5R678-vs





Friday 24th- I woke up early to watch The Immigrant starring Marion Cotiliard. She plays a Polish immigrant who comes to New York for a better life but loses her sister when they arrive at Ellis Island. Marion never fails to impress me. Classy, beautiful and overwhelmingly talented. I didn't realize how much I was missing a female led film (not including the Bling Ring).
Some of the 8am screenings are a little rough. Regardless of how great the film is, it is just hard to stay up. The seats are incredibly comfortable and chances are I got into bed at 3am, but these are sometimes the only opportunity we, as interns, get to see the films. So yes, I am admitting to falling asleep for a few minutes here. Long enough to miss an important turn in the film. Which just means I have to wait for the theatrical release to watch it again.


After the conversations with Will Forte and Bruce Dern I made it a point to watch Alexander Payne's Nebraska (2013) directly after the Immigrant. It was a nice surprise that the film was in black and white, I don't know how I missed that. This was such a realistic film about ordinary people dealing with ordinary problems. Nothing fantastical and that was refreshing.
Fun fact: Bruce Dern played Tom Buchanan in the original Great Gatsby.


We had just enough time to fit in an INCREDIBLE Italian lunch. Fois Grois stuffed Ravioli in a truffle cream sauce (top of the photo) and a seafood bolognese. Definitely in the top of my meals here.


The American Pavilion screened a few intern short films today. We screened Helpless, Link and Death of Eurydice (all UNCSA films). This was a great opportunity to see the kinds of films the interns made in hopes of expanding our creative circle.


Saturday 25th- Another 8am film: Venus in Fur, directed by Roman Polanski. I really enjoyed Carnage (2011).  I knew Venus would not disappoint. *In 2012, Nina Arianda portrays Venus and won the Tony for best actress. Sundance Selects jumped on this opportunity and made the US purchase for Venus.
Our attempt of a photo of Max taking a photo of me taking a photo of myself. 

We took a ferry to ile Sainte-Marguerite. It is famous for housing a fortress prison which once housed the Man in the Iron Mask







It is SO windy! We take a ferry back to Cannes and dine at Cresci Pizza. 
EVERY girl in Cannes sported the same Long Champ bag,  I go into the store every day trying to figure out what color is best for me. The answer? None. The money is better for me.


I feet like a princess in Cannes's La Duree macaroon boutique, the macaroons are so delicate in my hand and crumble in my mouth. I order a tiny raspberry sorbet with a raspberry macaroon on top. 


Next: Naf Naf! Where I buy an awesome ring and clutch. I get 20% off for taking the picture below with my dear friend, Elizabeth.  




I felt a little under the weather the last few days which turned into a full fever in the middle of shopping. I went back to the hotel and passed out. 


When I wake up after a couple of hours, a few of my very dear friends had dropped off some tissue, nasal spray, cough drops and medicine. I am treated to a great dinner at Amici, an Italian restaurant across the street from the hotel. We pass it every day and never tried it. From what I can taste, it was unbelievable. On the menu for tonight are mussels as an appetizer and penne with a truffle cream sauce and sausage as the entree.

You can barely tell I'm deathly sick

Sunday 26th- I am fortunate to get tickets to Blue is the Warmest Color. This film won the highest award of the films in competition, the Palme D'Or. There were so many great things about the film. 3 hours had passed and I didn't even realize it. It became the talk of the Pavilion for having very graphic lesbian sex scenes that lasted for at least 15 minutes. It was such a great story about coming of age and accepting who you really are and allowing yourself to fall in love. I'm so grateful I got to see it and that it was my very last Cannes film. Sundance Selects purchased this film.


Today is our official last day. The Pavilion throws a wrap party. I realize that a thousand photos isn't nearly enough! I grab all my buddies and take more. We share a few drinks on the patio and swap business cards before we are kicked out. 

with my homegirl, Colby!
Austin and his roomie, Steve
The Notre Damers!!
Roomies!
with beautiful Tayloranne

There is only one place we want to go... Ma Nolan's for the very last time.



So there you have it! My trip to France interning for the American Pavilion at the Cannes International Film Festival. I'm bringing home a few extra pounds and a million memories.

View from my hotel room
Thank you Colby and interns for the photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment