Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sundance Day 1


Sundance Day 1
1-21-2014
Alarm set for 3:30am. 1:30am in Utah. 

Flying into Salt Lake City was like revolving around a 3D postcard. 

Breath taking!

The tops of the mountains looked dusted with salt or powder, what an appropriate name Salt Lake City. I reserved a shuttle which was a great idea because we waited for 20 minutes max then we were on our way to the condo. 

Once we get to the condo we drop our stuff off and  head down to the festival to explore. Busses are free! What a treat! We waited for the bus for maybe 20 minutes. 

About 1 hour later, we arrive at Main Street in Park City, the central hub of the festival. All uphill, or down hill depending on which end you are.. Shops, cafés, bars, theaters and restaurants.


We find the box office to pick up our credentials and I just so happen to bump into Meghan Benedict, from Cannes. We worked in programming together and she is a volunteer this year.


There are lots on little interactive things around promoting films. I pit stop at 52Tuesdays booth to leave 16 year old me a short message.. To Travel more.

jet-lagged much?


My favorite part of traveling is eating at new restaurants. I wish I had a tour guide to tell me the secrets to dining in Park City, because it felt a little limiting. I decided I was craving a burger and some beer so we head into No Name Saloon, for just that. A big bat Buffalo burger and a Polygamy Porter.  



We head right next door to O'Shucks for another beer then embark on another fast tour of Main st.  

I downloaded the Sundance app a while ago and familiarized myself with it. But nothing prepared me for how brutal the e-wait list was. I joined the wait list for Happy Christmas THE SECOND it was available and barely made the list. In seconds it was full.


We jump on a bus and head to RedStone Theatre. Unfortunately, we did not make it into the screening so Auggie & I travel back to the condo by foot. On our walk, which was 1.4 miles up a mountain in snow, (at night) we reach a Walmart.  We shop just a little, enough to carry the rest of the way with us. The walk felt like forever.

We finally reach the condo and enter the exterior pass code. followed by warmth. 
We start to enter the condo code on the door. Nothing. Again. Nothing. I call Kate Miller, no answer. We decide to call Barry the owner of the condo and explain the code doesn't work. He gives us other codes but nothing works. He begins to call the locksmith. I decide to use a credit card to get the door open. Auggie attempts and succeeds, what a relief! Once we walk in I set the groceries on the counter. Everything is clean. (When did the roommates come back to clean?) (is there a cleaning service with the condo?) (is this the wrong room?) I mean, we had only been there once much earlier and we were practically frozen and delusional. We step outside of the building. Sure enough D. We needed E. Auggie calls Barry Back and while we figure out a delicate way to break it to him, Auggie slips on the ice and busts his ass right on the ice. He doesn't flinch, "uh huh, yes sir, as he continues to talk to Barry"
We share a big laugh as we enter the correct building and put the code in, it works. I can't describe the comfort of that bed. I turned on Sons of Anarchy and dozed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment