Wednesday, August 15, 2012

David Fincher



David Fincher
"As a director, film is about how you dole out the information so that the audience stays with you when they're supposed to stay with you, behind you when they're supposed to stay behind you, and ahead of you when they're supposed to stay ahead of you."

David Fincher is a name I could not escape during my first year of film school. Before school, I tended to identify films by their actors. But I've learned that a film by David Fincher is mainly that. A film by David Fincher. And everyone involved plays a part to his vision and style. 

Directed: 





Se7en (1995)

A thriller/horror/neo-noir film that is not appropriate for an 11 year old. (Which is when I saw it) In my parent's defense, I BEGGED to see it and hid any residual fear it caused.  About 20 years later this remains one of my favorite films of all time. I have a thing for structured and established numerical things like the 7 Deadly sins. (The 4 Noble Truths, The 10 Commandments)





Fight Club (1999)

A favorite film while in high school, this movie made me want to be a boy. This is one of those films most people wish they made themselves which proves it's a great idea. As I got older I was introduced to Chuck Palahniuk as a writer. I read a few books and was pleasantly disturbed. When in Barnes and Nobles I tend to skim the aisle and catch up on the sleeves of his new books. I've only been brave enough to read Haunted, Snuff and Pygmy.
Reading about Fight Club, it's hard to believe that it was poorly received when it was first released. Once the DVD was released and sales were high, then were the criticisms retracted. 




Zodiac (2007)-

Fincher's first digitally shot film and the most recent I've seen. Although I think it's a damn good film, it's my least favorite. I found myself missing a lot and having to rewind to catch what I missed in dialogue. It's always fun to catch the trademarks of certain filmmakers, the bird's eye of a moving car through traffic is probably my favorite. 
Zodiac was a star filled cast with really great performances, but the eery 'Fincher feel' was just missing for me. 



The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)-

Based on the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, it's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen, (I think Cate Blanchett had a lot to do with that.) It's trip through decades reminds me a lot of Forest Gump (1994), with good reason: Same writer. Eric Roth. 
TCCOBB is the first Oscar trumping film with 13 nominations. 
The film rights were purchased in the mid 80s and it took a couple of decades to get together the proper crew and cast to make it work. They chose to take advantage of the filming incentives in Louisiana and filmed in New Orleans. 



The Social Network (2010)-

This semi-biographical film, in my opinion, depicts the youth of the ivy league scene in a very believable way. It was almost dark and eery with a little help from Trent Reznor. Another nomination frenzy.
Fun fact: Harvard has negated most filming on location after Love Story (1970) cause significant damage to the campus. 
The first scene in the film (Zuckerburg & girlfriend) took 99 takes to finish. I can't imagine 50 takes of the same scene!!



The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)-

Based on the Swedish novel of the same name, it was one of my most anticipated films of 2011. I accidentally bumped into the Swedish trilogy a few years ago on netflix and loved all 3. Then I heard Fincher was remaking them and to be quite honest, I wasn't uber excited. I felt like it was still fresh and great and Noomi Rapace was such a pioneer it would be hard to top that performance. But I don't think Rooney Mara fell short. 
In my opinion, I couldn't imagine this film being any better, and then Fincher puts his twang on it and made it his own. I'm happy to report that he's signed on for the whole trilogy which started filming this January and will be released this Fall. 


An interview with David Fincher:

No comments:

Post a Comment