Thursday, September 6, 2012

WRI 2730 Essay #2- America is my country and Paris is my hometown


“America is my country and Paris is my hometown.” -Gertrude Stein

Did you know Paris is the most visited city in the world?ª
It may be the way Paris is perceived by the hopeless romantic. How it is depicted in romantic comedies, or how it is written by famous writers and poets. Regardless, I cant remember a time I wasn't consumed by the charm the French culture offers. I am a French Enthusiast. An enthusiast, by definition, is a person who is highly interested in a particular subject, and I am very interested in France. While I was in high school or getting my undergrad, I was occasionally assigned a report for various classes on a country. It never failed, I always chose Paris. I had an elaborate poster board with glitter and pictures and even a pop out Eiffel Tower. I used a CD that played Louise Armstrong's La Vie en Rose. I had all the knowledge in the world about this city, but lacked the actual experience of ever having been there. 

Did you know France produces over 400 types of cheeses?ª
Cheese may very well be my favorite edible thing in the world. As a kid I could finish an entire block of cheddar cheese; as an adult, I know better. But that there can be 400 variations of cheese and in one country? That makes me want to try everyone. French cuisine is most foreign to me. Growing up in a Puerto Rican household, I ate rice not couscous. We ate flan not soufflé. But I look for it. Any chance I get at a restaurant, I'll order it just to try it. 

“An artist has no home in Europe except in Paris.” - Friedrich Nietzche

Did you know the first film(s) were created in France?
When learning the fundamentals of film we are taught that some pioneers to cinema were The Lumiere Brothers and Georges Meilies. I’ve always known there was more artist in me than scientist. Any form of art felt cathartic when I was younger. There wasn’t any one thing I was great at, just good at a lot of little things. So as I got older an fell more and more in love with film, so did my love and obsession for Paris. 

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” - Ernest Hemingway

Did you know it’s illegal to kiss on railways in France?ª
Spring break 2004. I was going to Paris. We had 10 days to travel in Europe and the first stop was Paris, then Germany, then Rome. We were on the first plane leaving RDU on its way to Dulles Airport when the pilot, over the intercom, explains that we are turning around because the engine is overheating and needs tending to. Not a problem, we’ll just get on the next flight and hope the connecting flights aren't too affected by this. 
Of course, there is no flight out that will make connecting flights to Germany to meet my dad until 3 days later. We still made it to Europe, only the France portion of our trip had to be sacrificed. I kept my chin up as much as I could accepting there was nothing we could do, but a dark cloud hung over my trip.  

A post I wrote recently about Paris
http://christenes-dailies.blogspot.com/2012/07/paris-je-taime-2006.html


The following are the sites I found with fun facts about France. There is a chance none of them are true. But this piece wasn't about the facts. It's about possibility so put that in your back pocket.





No comments:

Post a Comment