Saturday, September 21, 2013

GMWS- Winston Salem Museums

People from all over the world crossing in every direction of the sidewalks and streets. Limousines stuck in traffic full of very important people. The Core of our government, Washington, DC. The knowledge I absorb with all of the museums is overwhelming. But I leave DC with an appetite to learn more and see more. 

Smithsonians, Washington DC, c.2010

When I started exploring Winston Salem I was happy to find museums with rotating exhibits. A modern art museum and a more traditional museum and then recently a museum just about the history of Winston Salem. When you have some free time during the day and don't want to spend a lot of money, spend some time in a museum. Take a notepad so you can write down anything that inspires you. 


Reynolda House Museum of American Art


Tuesday-Saturday 9:30a-4:30p
Sunday 1:30p-4:30p
Free for students

Current Exhibit:
American Still Life
August 10- December 8, 2013

My first visit to Reynolda House was with an Art History class in my first year at UNCSA. We explored the lavish and beautiful mansion that once belonged to R J Reynolds and wife, Katherine. Since then I've returned to the museum to picnic in the large field in front of the house, to climb the trees just beside the house and to participate in Cinema Under the Stars. There is SO much to do at Reynolda Village than just see the museum. Which will be covered in a future post.


750 Marguerite Dr.
336.725.1904
Tuesday-Saturday 10:00a-5:00p
Thursday-10:00a-8:00p
Sunday 1:00p-5:00p
Admission is free

There is no current exhibit because they are setting up the museum for the:
Upcoming Exhibit: Graphic Design: Now in Production 
October 24th, 2013-February 23, 2014
"Explores the worlds of design-driven magazines, newspapers, books, and posters; the expansion of branding programs for corporations, communities, and individuals; the entrepreneurial spirit of designer-produced goods; the renaissance in digital typeface design; the storytelling potential of film and television titling sequences; and the trans- formation of raw data into compelling information narratives."

The Opening Party for the exhibit Graphic Design: Now in Production will be Madmen themed on Friday October 25th, 2013.
Tickets- $40

I was introduced to SECCA by Mrs. Betsy Townes in my Art History class. After a nostalgic bus ride, we arrived and the exhibit incorporated films which interested all of my fellow film-ies.  When you enter SECCA any temporary exhibits are to the left. To the right of the entry is their permanent exhibit of the lavish and beautiful home.



713 S. Marshall st. 
Admission is free

Current Exhibit:
Ghost Signs of Forsyth County: collaborating with Sawtooth School for Visual Art's Photography and Digital Media Classes.

Permanent Exhibit:
Every Picture Tells our Story. Over a hundred photos of the History of Winston Salem dating back to 1856 with a photo of Salem College and Academy teachers.

As I mentioned in my first post, I happened to come across the New Winston Museum while wandering around the Old Salem Cobblestone Farmer's Market. Chris Jordan, the Director of Programming had no objection to sitting with me and telling me a little about the new museum. I was excited to hear that he wishes to collaborate with UNCSA more in the coming months!

4 comments:

  1. I'm always so thankful of your blog. I need things like this to help me figure out what to do on my days off. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you show us cool thing to do in winston, because half of the time I always say how boring it is here. Its nice to see what Winston has to offer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not know about the New Winston museum! I need to check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this post by googling "museums in Winston Salem." You are every where!
    Also, great post :D

    ReplyDelete