Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Artist (2011)





I finally saw The Artist (2011) and loved it. Lately I've been off the grid with newer movies (focusing on the classics in school) Aside from the occasional mention of a "need-to-see" film this year in school. Drive (2011); 21 Jump Street (2012); Hugo (2011) and of course... Smurfs (2011) :D


Back to The Artist. I knew about the film, what I assume the masses knew: it's silent and black and white. I spent the entire first semester in American Cinema studying and screening silent films. After a while I was a little burned out so you can forgive me for waiting to see the Artist. 




It was charming, whimsical and very traditional and in my opinion well done. There is nothing I feel like complaining about. Then again, if you haven't' already figured out, I'm easy to please. I have a feeling a silent film now could have gone very wrong; been over done. Jean Dujardin was perfectly cast as a bit of a modern day Gene Kelley and Berenice Bejo could not have been cuter. Both French, and I would never have known if it weren't for the last minute of the film. Then I found out this film is considered a French film! I don't know why that excited me! The film is nothing like Singing in the Rain (1952), but somehow I was constantly reminded of it, it could be the striking resemblance of Jean and Gene. (tee hee) (and I read on imdb that Jean & Berenice practiced in the same studio Debbie & Gene did for the final dance number.)


The very first thing I noticed watching the version I had on my computer was the aspect ratio. This may get a little confusing, but I will try to explain it. The film was shot in 1.33:1 which is called "Academy ratio" (silent films were shot this way). Here are a few examples of the difference:








Today, the average ratio for move theaters are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1(anamorphic). It was an obvious switch when you are watching films as much as I've had to lately. Small detail in such a great film. 


Another fun fact: the first spoken word in the film is "cut" while the final word of the film is "action."



It's official. School is over. My car is packed and I can't help but feel the anxiety of the unknown. Summer. Transitioning from the constant feeling of needing to be somewhere. Being surrounded by a certain type of people. The accessibility of doing whatever I want. Traveling by foot anywhere I need to go.
With the knowledge I've gained all I want to do is work on a film, but on paper my biggest experience is in a restaurant, so what do I do? I call said restaurant and pick up shifts for the next 3 days straight.
Money is what I need from this summer. And I didn't really make any money in school except until the very end working at Tech Ops with some really cool cats. I'm really looking forward to working there next year pending work study approval.
Seeing my friends off was painful but I have a very exciting trip coming up, NEW YORK!!
Of course I'll be documenting my whole trip with pics and videos. And since I'll be making the trip with two fellow filmmakers, there will be triple the coverage. There's so many places I want to go, and this trip will last until our last dollars.
I've taken a break from social networking lately. It's loosely based on a great conversation I had with a friend about disconnecting, or unplugging. It's felt really amazing. Like I've gained a little more control on my own life. It's silly, I know but it works for me.
Ciao mon chérie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment