Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WRI 2730 Essay #6 Artistic Issue

I'm afraid of what's under my bed.

Under my bed stores my old uniforms, paperwork, name tags, tax information, pay stubs, aprons, graded papers and show programs of jobs passed. At first I was really proud of all of the cool things I was accumulating until the day came that I realized what it really was. It's proof that I can't make up my mind, that I can't settle and that I really don't finish anything. Finally doing something I love has made it a lot easier to commit to, sleep and a social life suffer for it. But once a film has wrapped, I have never felt more accomplished.

I don't look under my bed all that much, I just shove more things under there until the day comes that I can let it go.

*

My first job was at Pizza Hut when I was sixteen years old. Since then I've worked at an Italian Restaurant, a bank, as a nanny, with a professional baker, at a Regional theatre, for a film festival and at a high school. My qualifications and resume are pretty impressive.

So why am I back in college?

Because I'm an artist.

My first time around in college was for a degree in History with a minor in Art History, then a minor in Political science, then a minor in Education, then finally a minor in Spanish. The degree in History was for many reasons:

favorite subject in high school

favorite topic of discussion

favorite channel on television

it's something that will never change

and most importantly, I wanted to work for the National Geographic. To get an internship with NatGeo you must have 2/3 degrees: History, Photography/Film and Journalism. I was on the right track.
Until I got off track.

Once I graduated college, I had a decent job as a waitress and my husband just joined the Coast Guard. We move to California in 2008 [I wouldn't stop living out of a suitcase until 2011 because of moving around]. With many excuses I didn't get my Masters or a "real" job at this time.

Do I go to school for Film or Journalism?

After a couple of years really giving it some thought I decided on Film. I can learn to write in Film school, but can I learn about film while getting a journalism degree?

I've had to make so many big decisions in the last few years it's nice not to worry too much about the fact that a degree in film might not help me get a full time job that isn't film related once the school loan bill starts. (note the sarcasm).

No comments:

Post a Comment