Monday, October 28, 2013

GMWS- Halloween (1978)

The Colleges : Halloween activities ratio in Winston Salem is a little disappointing. Especially for thrill seekers such as myself. But in the spirit of Halloween, I'm breaking my rules this week. Not only am I using photos I didn't take but I'm leaving Winston Salem and sharing places to visit all the way to Charlotte. Because haunted houses + roller coasters = awesome sauce. Let's start with
Spooky Woods

1615 Kersey Valley Rd. Archdale, NC
September 13-November 2, 2013
Sun-Thurs- 8p-10p, Fri&Sat- 8p-12a
Admission: General Fri&Sat- $25
Sun-Thurs- $20
Parking $5
Tickets include The Dreaded Inn, Terror Trams, Fright Lights, Deadly Harvest, Cathedral of the Dead

Located in High Point, only 30 minutes away from UNCSA, this attraction offers plenty of "walk throughs" to appease the appetites of the the most advanced of thrill seekers. Are you the type who values good reviews? Spooky Woods was nominated in the top 10 haunted attractions in America.


5601 N. church St., Greensboro, NC, 27455
September 27-November 2, 2013
Fri&Sat- 6p-11:30p
Sun-Thurs 6p-9:30p
General Admission
Sun-Thurs- $15
Fridays, Saturdays and Halloween $25
$4 discount for just emailing here.

A couple of months ago I ran the 5k Zombie Mud Run hosted by Woods of Terror. It was my first 5k and it was a blast! Registration for the run included a 2013 pass to WOT and they plan to host a run again the Spring so keep an eye out.

WOT is the perfect treat if you're looking for a holiday themed activity. Once you pay the admission you're given a playing card and you wait for your group to be called to start the "walk through." While you wait there are food vendors and small shops selling horror themed goodies. Once your group is called, you line up and start the tour. Then it's about a 45 minute tour of some of the most terrifying things!

Around mid-October I get in this "I only want to watch scary movies" thing. I revisit some of my favorite horror films dating all the way back to 1988 with Killer Klowns from Outer Space. WOT has a clown "fun house" that scared the bajeezus out of me!


14523 Carowinds Blvd, Charlotte, NC, 28273
October 4th-27th, 2013
Fri-Sun- 7p-12a
Sundays- $31.99
Saturdays-$40
Fridays- $36.99

I can't count how many times I've been to Carowinds, that's because I've lived in NC for a while and the Intimidator is my all time favorite roller coaster. I don't mind paying the $40 admission just to ride it once. Call me an adrenaline junkie. It may be why horror films are my fav.

But riding the Intimidator in October surrounded by monsters and ghoul is another story. There is a layer of fog and mist that covers all of the park for the duration of your time there. It conveniently hides the employees who pop out and scare you. All in incredible make up! The entire time I wanted to stop and ask, "who did your make-up, can I get there card?"

A Photo of the sun setting from my favorite roller coaster, the Intimidator

Don't get me wrong, there are, Halloween events in Winston-Salem. There are Masquerades on Trade, pumpkin carving in Old Salem and Fall craft fairs at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds. Which I attended this year, but in comparison to the trails and theme parks It just didn't fit in this post. 

Happy Halloween everyone! Awesome costume idea:


3 comments:

  1. Holy Crap! I'm not taking my kids to any of these (but I am passing the link along to others).

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol that last picture is quite a shocker! I want to go! However, I don't have the time... D: Plus, I can GUARANTEE I will crap my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should also go to Hacker house. I believe it's in Greensboro and it's so much fun!! This was my second year going and I loved it more than the first time. It's not as big as Spooky Woods but it's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete