Saturday, October 5, 2013

GMWS- Parks & Trails

New York City High Line


What I miss most about New York, aside from the skyline, are the endless opportunities to just walk. It's hard to text and walk. It's hard, for me, to walk through busy streets and talk. Walking around the city was one of my favorite memories because I separated myself from technology for just a moment to enjoy what was around me.

Winston Salem may not have the buzzing metropolis known as the Big Apple, but it definitely provides many opportunities to just walk. Why not take advantage and leave your phone at home and go for a walk on one of the many trails Winston Salem has to offer.

Washington Park
1490 Broad Street.


For a while I got into the great habit of running a couple of miles around my neighborhood, Washington Park. My route changed daily because I get bored easily. One fortunate morning I cross over Broad street and continue to run, accompanied by my close friend Ke$ha, until I come to the entrance of Washington Park. The park. I can't say that I've ever heard of this park let alone seen it in my 3 years at Winston Salem. I felt like I discovered Narnia. I stepped into this abandoned park around 8am on a Saturday morning without a soul in sight. First impressions are important to me, and I immediately knew I would be back soon. It was beautiful and full of hills, which is great for your calves. 
With picnic tables and a park, you can take kids, which only spells one thing, PARTY. But make sure that you keep it in the sunlight, I get a feeling that this place could get a little sketchy after hours. 


Bolton Park
1590 Bolton st. 
On my way to AC Moore one day I got a call to come back to school for a meeting. I got off of Silas Creek Pkwy trying to find a convenient way back I got a little lost and found myself at Bolton Park. What a pleasant surprise. Summer was just ending and the sun was bursting at the seams. I paused my busy day to just soak in Bolton Park.
The Parcourse fitness center is my favorite feature. It's a free outdoor gym with a trainer. The diagrams teach you how to use each piece of equipment and explain how it benefits your body. 



This park comes equipped with labels on each tree describing what kind they are. (Ahem, Austin, you might want to take a look) A pool with great reviews! And a wonderful picnic area as you can see below. (party)


1001 Salem Lake Rd. 
Isn't this gorgeous!?
When I was a freshman I was cast in a Music Video Project for some 4th years. It was a Snow White Dogma style Video. We shot the forest scenes in the woods of Salem Lake. I knew while I was there that I would definitely come back and walk the trail. It took me 2 years. But since then, I've ridden my bike around the whole 7 mile trail (6.88mi=51:46) and canoed across the 365 acre lake, 1 acre for every day of the year! 
This trail is serene and wraps around the entire lake which means you never back track. I love that because you never repeat the sights. Every mile is labeled in case you only want to run 1 mile in and 1 mile out. 



Strollway along Main Street.
If you've ever driven down Main street then you've inadvertently been on the Strollway. It technically starts just at the roundabout on Main street and ends around 4th street. The trail on Main street gets more and more beautiful as you drive toward downtown.  
When I lived off campus I would go out of my way to drive to the I-40 ramp downtown just so I could drive by the Strollway, especially in the Fall and Spring. 






If you're not regularly exercising, let me share with you the benefits of just walking. Wanna know how walking can "soup up your sex life"? Do you like lists? (Joe.) Each of these websites conveniently list the benefits of walking. 

Discovery Fit & Health
Mother Nature Network
eMedtv

3 comments:

  1. Loved hearing the stories behind each park! I'll have to drive over to Bolton Park and start checking out those trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Walking is man's best medicine" - Hippocrates

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's nice that a lot of the opportunities you shared are really easy to access from campus!

    ReplyDelete