Thursday, October 3, 2013

Helpless (2013)



The resources The North Carolina School of the Arts School of Film making provides are just amazing. Where I use to carry around a Sony Cyber Shot digital camera ($80) with a 1G SD card, I was now shooting a 7 minute movie on a Cannon 5D Mark III ($3,500).

Year 1 in my producing class, Bob Gosse, assigns us to pitch a story. The day is February 1st, 2012.
I had images in my head, but no story.

I started writing. "A girl and a guy in a library." "Two kids in a library." Library. Library. Library.
I gave up and went to class. The pitches are going well so I decide to go.

[enter pitch here]

I can't remember what I said but the hands started raising and the questions started.

We go on break and Evan Scott Russell approaches me with something along the lines of "I loved your idea, I totally connected. I want to be a part of it."

That night I post on Facebook:

We start to find the crew, first on the list is our Cinematographer, Chris Ellison. I worked with Chris before and I truly admire and respect him. We really lucked out when he agreed to shoot our movie because he provided a vision that really did the story justice.

Next comes our Editor, Isaac Banks. And then so on and so forth. By the end of the hiring we had an incredibly tight and small crew.

We had a hard time finding a library. Our own school library refused us and the few we looked at wouldn't agree to some aspects of the script. Bob Gosse swoops in and connects us with a contact for a local library and within 2 meetings we lock the library. Our scheduled shooting dates are March 31st and April 1st. April 1st just so happened to be Easter and the Library Manager had plans to visit her family so we had one of our first obstacles of moving our entire schedule a day earlier. March 30-31st. That may seem easy, but we had to accommodate everyone's schedule, including the caterer and the hours of operation of the library.

The casting process was a little unconventional. I already knew who I wanted to cast as Leah, and Evan knew who he wanted to cast as Chayse. They each read (separately) and are offered the roles. We begin to rehearse while Dylan Arnold and Mary Mattison Vallery begin their journey.

DAY ONE-We arrive at the library around noon on Friday the 30th. The Camera crew set up the set while the production crew sets up crafty and makeup and wardrobe. Everyone is equal parts excited and giddy. Our first day goes by without a hitch. We reunite later at Chris' (DP) to watch dailies.

Director/Story By/Art Director: Christene Hurley

Produced/Written By/Special Effects Make Up: Evan Scott Russell (middle)

1st AD- Taylor Zabloski, Co-Producer/Boom Op-Austin Elliott and Director of Photography- Chris Ellison

DAY TWO- We meet at our only other location which is the high school hallway. I luckily locked our very own high school hallway months earlier so we did not have to travel far this morning. The freight elevator also proved convenient when pushing the dolly/crane job through.

Michelle Shiraziefard- Gaffer (left)

We left our special effect shot for the last day of shooting, we took our time to prepare and I think it really paid off. I can't say much more without spoiling the story so I just hope that everyone gets a chance to see this film if you haven't.
Kyle Frank-Key Grip

Chris and Kazmo Kida-1st AC

Dylan Arnold and Mary Mattison Vallery
That's a WRAP! The best part was when I got to announce to my dear crew that we had submitted our film into the Courte Metrage Short Film Corner at the Cannes International Film Festival!! I applied for an internship at the festival and was accepted and offered the opportunity to submit a film. I had so much faith that I submitted a film we hadn't even shot yet!
Top: Austin Elliott, Dalton Price, Dylan Arnold, Michelle, Drew, Kazmo, Isaac, Taylor
Bottom: Evan, Mary, Kyle, Christene, Chris
We were a little pressed for time to submit the film to France so Isaac got cracking quick! After 6 days he had a first cut. We were all so very happy with the way it turned out. This is the birth of "Helpless."
Isaac Banks- Editor
April 24th, 2013 "Helpless" is officially screened with all of the other 2nd year films of the year. The films were incredible, the 2nd year students were riveted. I was excited and ecstatic and also sad that this was all over. Little did I know, my journey with "Helpless" had just begun. 

May 7th, 2013 I drive to Fayetteville to get interviewed for the Fayetteville Observer. Roger Mullen who had covered shows I performed in at The Cape Fear Regional Theatre was now interviewing me about "Helpless"! 

May 15th, 2013 "Helpless" premieres at the Court Metrage at the Cannes International Film Festival



May 24th, 2013 "Helpless" screens for the American Pavilion at the Cannes International Film Festival

August 30th, 2013 Evan is interviewed by the Times-Georgian on his 21st birthday about "Helpless". 

September 20th, 2013 "Helpless" screens at Big Bear Lake International Film Festival in California and is awarded the Jury Award for best Student Film! 



November 8th, 2013 "Helpless" will screen at the Asheville Cinema Festival in North Carolina.


November 15th, 2013 "Helpless" will screen at the Cucalorus Film Festival in Wilmington North Carolina.

This has been one of the most exciting rides of my life and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I'm happy to report that Evan and I have just started pre-production on our second production together along with Kazmo Kida, the 1st AC for "Helpless" who will be our Cinematographer. Austin Elliott, the co-producer and Boom Operator for "Helpless" will also join us on our next adventure:
"Roses for Margaret"


IMDB Page
Facebook Page


Related articles:


1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that all the hard work of you and your team is getting such recognition. I meant to tell you that I had just seen Helpless again last Friday during the student screenings. It gave me chills and I even got a little teary-eyed. I looked at Matt when the credits rolled and said "it's so good!"

    ReplyDelete