Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Help (2011)

Just finished The Help (2011).
I feel that I watch movies at the right time, and hate forcing myself to sit and watch something. I wanted to see this film when it was released this summer but never had the opportunity. The opportunity came this morning, in a hotel room, alone. Brandon and I rented it last night from a Redbox in Norfolk, VA. Random, I know. Well, B had to work a little this morning so I started it after a shower while I was brushing out this mane, for those of you who know me.... you know it takes FOREVER.
Well, to my surprise, here I am, crying and laughing in this hotel room counting down the minutes to check out time. (11:00am) The most emotional scene in the whole movie and it's 10:55am! BALLS!!!
So I check out, google the closest Barnes & Noble (Chesapeake) and rush through traffic to finish this movie.
Here I sit, grande sweet green tea lemonade, spinach & feta pretzel, and tissue full of snot.
What a great movie.
Great performances from Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Bryce Howard and Octavia Spencer! Not to mention, original music from my favorite composer Thomas Newman!! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002353/
I'm left with one of those "I want to make something right now" moods. That's how I know I've truly been inspired. I am listening to the soundtrack on spottily right now and Johnny Cash is trying his best to charm me. Well Mr. Cash, it is working!


Last night we saw The Change-Up (2011), and call me a snob, but I'm kind of over those kinds of comedies. I'm afraid at one point it was my favorite genre of movie. And while I need some mindless entertainment sometimes I'd rather walk away from 2 hours of my invested time having learned something. What I learned last night is that Leslie Mann may be one of my favorite actresses and Ryan Reynolds has weird teeth. :) I did laugh though. 

What a nice treat that on my last day of school the voice students serenaded us in the Pickle Jar with some beautiful caroling. Believe it or not, but aside from performances I've attended before I was actually a student, this is the first thing I've seen by students at our school that weren't film students. (I bet there is an easier way to word that.) 

Christmas is quickly falling upon us, I'm reminded by the hustle of shoppers outside this Barnes & Noble window. There are a little more interesting today because I've now switched to listening to Thomas Newman's Little Women Composition. A cheerful, holiday mood. 
I'll be spending these next three weeks in my car a lot. Driving back from VA to Fayetteville, to Wilmington, to Charlotte then eventually back to Winston-Salem. But I cannot express how excited I am to see so many faces I love and miss! If it's one thing I am sure of is that I gain most inspiration from the people I know most. Which is why I am so excited to see my dad today. Bran and I will be driving to Petersburg soon to spend some time with our VA-based family. 

(Listening to 'Spring' from the Little Women Soundtrack.) I could cry.
I don't have many traditions that are my own, but one. To watch Little Women (1994) every Christmas morning. I can't remember when this tradition started, but I look forward to it every year. I haven't seen it in a year, and I wonder if my opinion has changed because of the things I'm learning in school. I find myself being a little more critical, which is understanding now that I understand much more about movies than I did before. 


This is a Christmas tree in downtown Winston-Salem from a night I spent exploring downtown. My company that night are some of the people I love most. And that moment under the tree was a moment worth capturing. 

Well, I will end here so I can look around for something to read over break. 
xoxo

1 comment: