Sunday, December 25, 2011

Hugo (2011)

2011
that's more like it....



This movie was worth the wait, and the arm/leg it cost to see it. My date: Mom. On Christmas Eve, and it was our very own private screening. 

This film, directed by Martin Scorsese, based on the book "The Invention of Hugo Cabret"with original music by Howard Shore, was the perfect Christmas movie. With superb performances by Ben Kinglsey as Georges, Sacha Baron Cohen blew me away and he normally fails to impress me. The little boy who played Hugo, Asa Butterfield, I've never seen before but he was fantastic!! The last thing I saw Chloe Moretz in was Amityville Horror (2005). She was perfect in this role in my opinion. She found a way to gracefully play a little girl who was strong enough to metaphorically carry her depressed God Father. There were so many actors who deserve mention but this would be very long. Let me say, it was very nice to see Jude Law for the 5 minutes he is on screen. 

Watch trailer below if you haven't seen it.



<<SPOILER ALERT>> 
(and I'm sorry I put spoilers in my blog)
Scorsese cameo: as Melies' Photographer outside of his studio. 
James Cameron told Scorsese this was the best use of 3D, (including his own films) :P

A couple of times I found myself quietly thanking my American Cinema Professor, David Spencer, for screening the films he did. Along with my Editing Professor, Nola Schiff. Most of the films shown in Hugo are from the French pioneers of the late 19th century and early 20th century starting with the Lumiere Brothers. (who were the inspiration for Georges Melies) The recurring reference in this film was the first science fiction film, A Trip To the Moon (1902). And Scorsese painted a beautiful picture of that set in 1902. 

A few people who've seen the movie told me to look out for references made. The only one I noticed was to Jean Valjean. (Les Mis)

There were a few memorable quotes in the film:

Hugo: "I thought if I could fix it I wouldn't be so lonely."


Georges: "Film has the power to capture dreams."


Hugo: "If you lose your purpose, it's like you're broken."


Isabelle: "This might be an adventure, I've never had one, outside of books..."


Melies: "If you ever wondered where dreams come from, look around. This is where they are made." (shows him the set)

And a vignette I absolutely LOVED was that of the Madame Emile (cafe owner) & Monsieur Frick (newspaper stand). I especially loved that they concluded their story in the end.... without words at that.. I only had the sound of my mom's commentary, "That is a smart man...."

But the most amazing moment in the ENTIRE film has to be when Professor Tabard shows up to Melies apartment with the film. When Mama Jeanne sees herself. That's suppose to be her hanging on the waning crescent moon. 




Esther Williams, the queen of synchronized swimming



No comments:

Post a Comment