Saturday, December 24, 2011

Nothing Like the Holidays (2008)

It's Christmas Tomorrow!!!


I've taken advantage during this break to watch as many movies as I can, netflix, red box, and theaters. Most recently I've seen Midnight in Paris (2011), which I loved! If it's possible, I knew I would love it before I saw it. It combines some of my favorite elements: A movie written and directed by Woody Allen, taking place in Paris, starring Rachel McAdams and Marion Cotillard. I have to say that the character Rachel played is by far my least favorite she's ever played. The concept of this film is just brilliant to me!! A writer suffering from writer's block goes to Paris with his fiancee and on a walk one night gets transported to a time where some of the most brilliant artist lived. He gets feedback on his work by Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, and Gertude Stein. Not to mention (but I'm mentioning) being serenaded by Cole Porter and chatting with Picasso. What a night! Beautifully done in my opinion, my only gripe is that the film finishes where it should begin.....


As far as theaters go, I went to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011). It was first a novel ("Men Who Hate Women") trilogy by the name of "the Millennium Series." I didn't read the books, but I did see the Swedish Films. (They are on Netflix Instant watch right now). I love both the Swedish and American versions. It's the kind of film that makes you feel grateful and angry at the same time. The opening sequence is the most interesting I think I've ever seen, and I can't wait for The Girl Who Played With Fire.
David Fincher, the director, who has also directed some of my FAVORITE films: Se7en (1995), Fight Club (1999), Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons (2008) and the Social Network (2010). In my opinion, Fincher has a specific style and color palette (blues and low lights) he's faithful too. I'm a fan, that's for sure.

"I don't know how much movies should entertain. To me, I'm always interested in movies that scar. The thing I love about Jaws (1975) is the fact that I've never gone swimming in the ocean again."- David Fincher



Noomi Rapace, Lisbeth Salander from the Swedish version of Girl/Tattoo

OOH! I found the entire movie Salsa (1988) on youtube! This is in honor of my Wednesday nights! 


Tomorrow is Christmas, then next week is 2012. My 10 year high school reunion! "/ It does NOT feel like 10 years. But I wouldn't trade the last 10 years for anything in this world. (well, maybe a lifetime supply of pinkberry). Brandon will be spending Christmas in the middle of the ocean which really sucks. But he'll be back before I know it. I'm convincing him to make a travel blog, he won't be able to post a lot of info, but he's got great pics. Keep an eye out.



Cross your fingers, I'm planning but not really planning on seeing Hugo tonight at 6. Mom is cooking and if we are comatose from the food we won't make it. But I'm so hoping because they are not showing it from tomorrow on here, and they stopped showing it in Fayetteville. Listen to me.... I'm so going.


Migrant Mother by Florence Owens Thompson

This song reminds me so much of Memoirs and the first few weeks of school. 


No comments:

Post a Comment