Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Girlfight (2000)

Click on this link to see something great!!  http://horseinmotion.eh84.com/

The local coffee shop, Krankies, had this display in their Electric Moustache gallery. Evan Hawkins had the brilliant idea to take an iconic image by Eadweard Muybridge and connect 12 individual to showcase the birth of stop motion animation.

Some of my friends and I have been training in different things for a few weeks: Parkour, Balintawak, Boxing and Taekwondo. It is a great form of therapy and stress reliever, I don't think once a week is enough, but we are lucky to find the time.








I love the moments I have when I get a chance to get centered. I was sitting on Hollywood Blvd. (In the Film Village across from the ACE Theatre) having coffee yesterday and the area was abandoned while I waited to go into work study. The only thing I could hear was the lights blinking on the marquis so I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I thought about the opening credits I get to add to the beginning of my 5 minute Directing assignment. It's a cool digital shot of the entrance to the ACE theatre complex. It was Monday so there was that looming feeling of a very long busy week ahead. That's enough to bring down the most bubbly person. I'll be honest, it's a struggle to take a moment to relax, because there is ALWAYS something I could be doing. Once again, I'm faced with looking for that damn niche. What the heck is a niche anyway?

In the meantime, until I find it, I'll watch some movies...

In my netflix:
Paris, je t'aime (2006)
Paris, je t'aime is about the plurality of cinema in one mythic location: Paris, the City of Love. Twenty filmmakers have five minutes each; the audience must weaving a single narrative out of twenty moments. The 20 moments are fused by transitional interstitial sequences and also via the introduction and epilogue. Each transition begins with the last shot of the previous film and ends with the first shot of the following film, extending the enchantment and the emotion of the previous segment, preparing the audience for a surprise, and providing a cohesive atmosphere. There's a reappearing mysterious character who is a witness to the Parisian life. A common theme of Paris and love fuses all.


Obviously I still have Paris on the brain. But more importantly, I love when directors collaborate and make one film. Like.... 4 Rooms (1995). 


Hard Candy (2005)


After three weeks of chatting with the thirty-two year old photographer Jeff Kohlver over the Internet, fourteen year old Hayley Stark meets him in the Nighthawks coffee shop. Hayley flirts with him in spite of the age difference and proposes to go to his house. Once there, she prepares a screwdriver for them and Jeff passes out. When he awakes, he is tied up to a chair, and Hayley accuses him of pedophilia. Jeff denies the accusation, and Hayley begins to torture him in a cat and mouse game.

I've seen Hard Candy before, so I can't remember why I added it to my queue again, but it's in and I'll be screening it very soon with a few people. 


So my bud introduced me to iCal and I'm thanking and cursing him because now I'm obsessed. I swore I'd never go digital with my planner.. I really don't know why, I've just always had a hard copy planner since I was a freshman in high school. Doesn't' look like I'm too busy, but this does not include my required screenings every weekend which comes in weekly. This also does not include my pre/post production meetings. But its organized. Now. Does anyone know how to transfer everything to my iPhone? I've synced my phone but my ical on my phone only has the general calendar events. 



I don't know exactly how many first years film a week but it's something like 12 a week. And that is until March. Every week. Whew! Here are a few shots of people working:

Mark Webb, Mixer

Brianna Mathews, Boom Op

West Webb, Actor

DR & Max, my co-actors
My 5 minute goes up in EIGHTEEN DAYS! I'm excited and terrified! 



Plus I've finally found my fav SNL skit on youtube:

1 comment: