Thursday, January 12, 2012

Shortbus (2006)

Food for thought

A few nights ago a few of us watched Righteous Kill (2008). I've seen it before and really appreciated two of the greatest actors sharing the screen together. Robert DeNiro and Al Paccino. Throw in the very sexy Carla Gugino and a comedic splash of Donnie Wahlberg & John Leguizamo and you have an outstanding picture. Directed by Jon Avnet (Exec Producer on Black Swan). 
After this feature we were in the mood for some shorts. Here is where I give credit where credit is due, because this production company is AMAZING. Thank you, Austin for introducing me to Blue Tongue Films, Australian based production company.

This was my favorite

Spider 
Short film written by Nash Edgerton & David Michôd. Directed by Nash Edgerton.
Produced by Nicole O'Donohue.Cast: Nash Edgerton, Mirrah Foulkes, Chum Ehelepola, Bruno Xavier, Tony Lynch & Joel EdgertonJack and Jill are always hurting each others feelings. But like Mum said, Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye. (May 2007)

Shortly after we watched this Oscar nominated short that inspired a great short story I will be turning into my 7 minute script this semester. 




Miracle Fish
Oscar nominated short film written and directed by Luke Doolan.
Produced by Drew Bailey.Cast: Karl Beattie, Brendan Donoghue, Tara Morice & Kieran Darcy-Smith.8 year old Joe has a Birthday he will never forget. After friends bully him, he sneaks off to the sick bay, wishing everyone in the world would go away. He wakes up to find his dream may have become a reality. (January 2009)


I saw Fright Night (2011), I've never seen the 1985 version that I know of. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm curious how this movie was in 3D because you can tell there are specific scenes made for 3D. The end credits were fantastic! And there were some shots in there I may steal one day. A great date night movie in my opinion. 




I.LOVE. Justin Duncan.
The best feeling in the world is when someone knows you so well and take the opportunity [when they can] to change your life. That is exactly what Justin has done in my life and I want to thank him from the bottom of my heart for being what I co
nsider a true blue friend. 
Justin, you are amazing and I am grateful to you and in debt to you. Thank you for the wonderful gift that will inspire my greatest works.


The gift: Creativity Notebook & Card Set


A series of cards that spark thought and creativity accompanied with a journal to make notes of your thoughts and sketches.


[Introduction]
    
   " I read about a guy in new York who purchased a newspaper bottle of water and a pretzel. So who cares? You will when you hear the rest of this:When he went to pay, he mixed three rare pennies worth 1500 bucks in with his change. "I just want to put some magic into everyday life," he said. 
     About the same time I read about an airplane that revamped their boarding procedures. Window seats would now go first, then middle, then aisle seats. By following this order, they will shave 2 minutes off of each traveler's boarding time, thus speeding up the total. 
    And that's the world we live in- some begging the world to slow down, some trying to hurry it up. A world where people live without their hearts and don't even mess with them. A world where success ranks over greatness. A world full of sunrises that greet us while we stand in a daily Starbucks line- a world that needs responding to. 
   As journalists, it is our job to salute this response. That's what we do. We are wired that way. When we don't, frustration fills us up and overtakes our soul. The words that were once at our fingertips seem to grow stale and calluses cover what once was covered with paint. Or chalk. Or a pen. Or a guitar pick. And we settle. 
   We have to be willing to be observers. 
   To listen to leaves blow, to look for rare pennies and to be anonymous. Only then will our observations begin to unfold, as we scribble, attack, write, draw and scribble some more until who we are slowly appears like invisible ink and the pain stops for that split moment... and then we do it all over again."


So many things about this passage speak to me. "We have to be willing to be observers." There was a time I can remember when I was younger that I always wanted to be observed. I wanted to be the one talking.  And I didn't listen enough. I listen more now and feel more connected. I learn more and I get more ideas because of it. I take more notes instead of trusting my memory, which is shit. My friends pick on me for it, because I pull a notebook out before every movie I watch to make any note of something that inspires me. I guess it is silly. 


The last few days have been a roll coaster of emotions. From trying to talk to Brandon with bad signal in South America, to getting into the swing of all things film school. It's hard, this transition from break. It was only 3 weeks, but it was 3 weeks of a break from thinking. 


My first screenwriting assignment is an autobiography. 10 pages, whatever I want. However I want. Not so easy. although I'm on page 5. :) That's progress. 


I leave you with a song I've been hearing that is inspiring my 7 minute script due by the end of the semester that I will produce as a second year. 



-Suzi Galik

Shared by Camilo Herrera. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment