Tuesday, August 23, 2011

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

Hey hey guys!! Well, today was the end of a wonderful summer. And instead of slowly stepping into the ice cold ocean I belly flopped in with a 13 hour day.


[correction to an earlier video blog:] The class is Self, Society and Cosmos. Required text being that of Plato, Machiavelli, Buddha, and lonesco. I'm really excited about this class if no other reason than my professor admitted to graduating a year late due to the release of the game Zelda on the wii. My kind of woman, and John will appreciate that. One of my fav fellow film mates, Jubilate, is in there with me. 
I spent my hour 1/2 break figuring out where to submit my apartment inspection form (you've all seen the pic of my trail to academics, right?) No?


(1) On the way to S, S &C; (2) On the way to Apartment office; (3) on the way to Art History; (4) on the way to lunch; and (4.5) to do the famous Baby in Dirty Dancing pose. 

Art History will be.... well, like every Art History I've taken. But I do love the professor. (Did she have a British accent? Hmmm, maybe not)

Oooh! Wait! Let's back track a bit to yesterday. To when I met my film advisor. i.love.her. <3 (To be honest I don't really dislike anyone yet, except for the a holes who like to provide commentary throughout the Edweard Muybridge & Lumiere presentation.) Yeah. I don't like you. 

Anywho, .....film advisor. Scroll down to Lauren Vilchik and tell me she's not a bad ass. http://www.uncsa.edu/filmmaking/facultyproducing.htm



That is where I met my buddy, Bogie. Bogie is my one and only FCP7 Guru. (Final Cut Pro 7) After meeting me for 5 minutes in a very (500) Days of Summer ending, he invited me back to his room for a FCP tutorial. I'll be honest, I probably learned more in there than I will this semester in Editing. Mainly because my professor uses Avid. SHE HAS THE BRITISH ACCENT!!
Well, Bogie, I owe you a million for many reasons.



Fast forward to my very boring evening watching Kadosh (1999) Director Amos Gitai; The Reef (2010); and The Hole (2001). Thumbs down to all 3. And thumbs down to the bottle of Merlot that didn't make it any better.

Which brings me back to today. My first day. I'll take a double Bombay; and a bite of a milky way. :)

Once I found my editing class I got settled in my chair and turned my cell phone off. The walls start shaking and the film screen starts rippling. Everyone takes a second to give it some thought. "Are we on any plate tectonics? This is the East Coast. I'm calling Mama." I'll be honest, I called mom too. After I fb'd about it, duh.
Editing is going to be great, useful but difficult.  I never said this was going to be easy. Actually I think my words were "This is going to be the most #@$&^%$#@ hardest thing in my life.

Let's head to Crawford Hall now for Convocation. (Chancellor & new staff meet/greet)
Actually let's not. Instead I sat at the pickle jar with Joseph. Officially my fav person at this school and fortunately in my film section (3). I really wish I had something to put here, maybe tomorrow. After snatching some free Convocation food and rushing back to the film school with Harry (more on Harry some other day), we found Production Design & Animation in the main Hall. 7-9pm. This is my fav class so far:

materials list:
work gloves
utility knife and blades (to be kept in)
toolbox
tool bag
screw gun
dust mask
safety glasses
tape measure
work boots

Not to mention that one of the professors is a cross between Woody Allen and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. I love it!! ( He is NOT British).

By now I've got ants in my pants, I'm hungry, I have about 5 assignments I'm working on in my head, I'm tired and have to tinkle.

I look like death so no video today but I will have one tomorrow. Hopefully introducing you to some very interesting people.

Ooh! PS.


GOODNIGHT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment