Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sleeping Beauty (2011)

Homework for Self, Society & Cosmos: Read The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Created by the United General Assembly in 'ol Paris (you have to say like PerrY) on Dec 10, 1948.
I came across Article 16 which states:

I'm noticing that nowhere in this Articles does it say that a man and woman joined in marriage...

  • (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
  • (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
  • (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State. 

  • I'm noticing that nowhere in this Articles does it say that a 'man and woman joined in marriage...' Hmm..
Now onto Art History homework. Have you ever stood in from of a piece of art and wondered "what am I suppose to be thinking?" That is the wrong way to go about looking at art. Try these steps the next time you are faced with a painting or sculpture or photograph. I will. 

1. Identify the artist's decision and choices. 
2. Ask questions and be curious. 
3. Describe the object.
4. Question your assumptions
5. Avoid an emotional response.
6. Don't oversimplify or misrepresent the art object
7. Tolerate uncertainty. 

I was having trouble with number 5. Avoid an emotional response, because I am a very emotional person. And I want to react emotionally to art. But art is suppose to stir up feelings. I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between feelings and emotions. 
And if you click on the link below you will see that Authors, Doctors, Professors and columnists have very different definitions of both. 
http://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=threadview&id=149261

I've added a few things to my bucket list. To see a Yayoi Kusama Exhibit. And when I die I want Kane Kwei to make my coffin. Oh. And I want a kimono.

Screenwriting class was great followed by Producing. Got to see a lot of student films today and loved it. But I'm going to switch to video blog for a sec.

PS. Meet Harry & Joseph.



<3 <3 <3





3 comments:

  1. ha this is actually the first video on your blog that I have watched. That was great work. I vote for clock work orange because who hasn't seen back to the future a million times. I was bragging at work about you and then mentioned how you were going to screen Smurfs and my coworkers were like "why would you even tell people that" haha but I think its cool that your professor produced it so you kind of get to look at it a little deeper than just the sarcastic blue humor. ANYWAYS love these blogs even more than The Daily Show ... here is my list ...
    Girl Meets Film School
    The Daily Show
    Modern Family
    Yep thats you, on top :)
    Good luck with Thursday. I started classes this week too. I get to do it all from home but sometimes I wish I was back on a campus. Interacting is fun.
    PS ... feelings v emotions? I agree that it is difficult to distinguish. Maybe feelings are what that art makes you feel just about itself without including your worldview that has been effected by life experience or your personal beliefs and values. For example, you might watch a movie like Cider House Rules and objectively feel things about it, but also subjectively be emotional about it due to your views on abortion or orphanages ... you know what I am saying? Well anyway ... just a thought.
    LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU should write a blog. I would def follow. That is a very clear way to think of feelings vs. emotions. I consider myself a very emotional person and I want to feel something when I look at art but not necessarily 'get emotional' about it.
    The funny thing about Smurfs is they have signed on for a sequel and my Dean is Producing it again. Which means, depending on my availability and year, I may get the opportunity to "shadow" the production. Imagine telling people THAT is what I did in Film School.
    Cool thing, my rockstar advisor knows one of my fav filmmakers (Eli Roth). And she knows HIM from the movie Cabin Fever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks. I have tried to start a blog once when I first moved here because my life was changing so much but it was hard to keep everything positive LOL then I was like man I sure to whine alot. I might start another soon though. I have so many family and friends that are scattered all over. Need to keep them in the loop :)
    I am just totally blown away at what an exciting opportunity you have. Its like waking up each day in Disney. So proud of you!
    Okay gonna read the your new entries. MUAH

    ReplyDelete