Tuesday, September 6, 2011

American Graffiti (1973)

Some graffiti in the tunnel to my apartments


It's funny that the class that is sparking my thought and inspiration is my Art History class. While I'm most interested in my film classes, they are taking their time to get into the swing of things until everyone has all of the software/hardware and texts. But my Art History class has jumped right in like we've been studying it for years. This week we are discussing why people paint on walls? That is a great question that is based on cave paintings and graffiti.  On a more deeper level, the question I find myself asking is really, what is art? Is a hand print on a wall art, a tagged Anarchy symbol in a tunnel, or a bison from the Paleolithic Era in the Lascaux Cave? I know what I find aesthetically pleasing, but you may not agree. So does that mean what I consider art is not art? Who decides what art is? Deep stuff, huh?

It's on my bucket list to paint graffiti on a wall. An I think I will get the opportunity to do it here, in the Center Stage Tunnel. But I don't know what is worth saying....


French philosopher/sociologist Jean Baudrillard offers a sharp and insightful criticism on popular and high culture. He writes about the way that studying anything requires a kind of murder: in order to understand it, you have to make it your own and destroy its independent existence. I'm so mad I can't find the perfect rebuttal to that by Baudriad (sp.) He says (with lack of better words) that if you keep your childish approach to what you love then you won't get tired or burned out by it. Something like that. It was wonderful.



I spent the weekend with mom eating some of our favorite foods and watching most of the entire first season of I Love Lucy (including the Lost pilot episode). We shared some great laughs over the Episode "Where Lucy thinks Ricky is trying to kill her." I can still picture my mom bouncing around like a boxer. I love you, mom! (She follows my blog)
A few weeks ago I got this idea for my first year 5 minute film and it was inspired by I Love Lucy. It's a funny concept.  I'm going a much darker route now based on recent events in my life.

Puppy play time


On a side note, it was nice not sleeping alone. Peanut snuggled beside me under the blanket, over the pillow on "Brandon's" side of the bed.

I saw City of Lost Children (1995) this weekend. It's a post apocalyptic dystopian French fantasy/drama film by Marc Caro & Jean Pierre Jeunet. It stars Ron Perlman (Hell Boy) which is funny because I JUST saw him in Two Soldiers (2006). It's worth a watch, but I'm more excited to see their earlier film Delicatessen (1991).

So, YAY we played with Final Cut Pro in Editing class, well I played while everyone else installed it. I also (unrelated) made calls today to Satefarm & USAA. Brandon would be so proud because I NEVER do that! I'm always terrified to talk to strangers on the phone, which is why I always screen calls. Explain that. I've had people tell me their theories before, which are always interesting to hear.



In Production Design & Animation we had to research a product and create a 'paste up' from the 1950s and I chose the ever popular Mr. Potato Head (1952). I say popular because about 3 other students picked the same thing, and I really thought I was being original. Either way, I found out some very interesting things and contacted the company who owns the right to the Potato Heads. (Mr. & Mrs.)

Check this out:


This is an exciting week, I start yoga, I have my first cinematography class, I get the results to my safety exam and get the green light to crew my first film which will be Sunday. I have three screenings this weekend: The Piano (1993), A Fool There Was (1915), and Senna (2010). We are kind of all over the place! And I'm excited because I saw the poster for Les triplettes de Belleville (2003)!!!! ( Not to mention that this Sunday is the finale for True Blood and I can finally stop freaking out about finding a site to stream it. I didn't get to Skye Brandon on Monday due to some unforeseen circumstances, but let's cross our fingers for sometime this week.


Something for your viewing pleasure. One of these days I'll list some interesting facts about the founding fathers of film. But for today you can just see some of the Lumiere Bros first films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment