Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Taxi Driver (1976)


In a week, not only will I be on West Coast talking films & parties with some of my fav people, but Brandon will be home!!! My partner in crime!!


I finished Taxi Driver (1976) directed by Martin Scorsese, Cinematography by Professor Michael Chapman. I'm still coming into my own skin in being able to describe what I feel about films... 
I waited until after I saw the movie to read about it. And if you haven't seen it, and possibly don't know anything about it, just watch it. Then read about it if you are interested. 
Recently I was made aware of the effect that rain or wetness causes on streets at night. The street lights reflect off the ground causing a really interesting effect. You can really see this in the night shots of Robert driving around in the taxi. If you've seen it, an interesting fact is that the passenger that makes him sit in front of a window while he watches his wife, is a cameo by director Martin Scorsese. It was WEIRD seeing Jodi Foster in this role because a movie I love, Freaky Friday (1976) was filmed the same year Taxi Driver was filmed.  In one she plays a 12 year old hooker and in the other she plays a middle schooler who switches bodies with her mother. Sound familiar? 

This poem rings near and dear right now:

“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”



Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sounds the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



I have promises to keep. Homework, crewing, filming at CFRT, and San Diego Film Festival in the next week. COME HOME BRANDON I NEED YOU! I never seem to feel so stressed when he's around. 


(I added music to the following shorts.)







This is my friend, Jennifer Gray's :30 second video. She is going to make an amazing Director.



1 comment: