Saturday, September 24, 2011

Boogie Nights (1997)


Shout out to my buddy, Tyler, who is awesome and thoughtful!!


I got to talk to Brandon on the phone today! He recently sunburned his face really bad and I got to see pics. He looked so pitiful! :( But he's okay now and handsome as ever!!




This is a great article my friend shared with me. If you find yourself defending film makers such as Kubrick or Bergman or any film maker that doesn't follow a specific guideline as to how a 'proper' story is portrayed; this article will help verbalize why it's important to let anyone use whatever medium to tell a story in any way they want. We wouldn't have some of the masterpieces we have if we didn't. 



Have you ever had one of those nights where you want to do something but can't figure out what. There are a few things going on but you can't decide what you want to do? Last night was one of those nights. After my required screenings I wanted to do something fun. But I didn't want to party hard. Some friends and I wanted some wine but we didn't have a wine opener. So after trudging around campus trying to find one, my girlfriends trailed off in their own directions engaging in different parties. I found a wine opener and took a completely different group of buds back to my place where we played Uno and watched some really artsy films about eggs and body parts. It ended up being a great a time.






In less than a week I will be in San Diego with my BFF Jen Petrini!! http://www.fairytalefashionista.com This is by far my favorite week of the year (along with the week between Christmas & New Years)



Just before the required screening some of my girlfriends and I went downtown for a very Sex in the City style dinner where the most interesting dog, Dhalia walked by. She was so beautiful. 



Then we screened what is now my favorite silent film EVER. "IT"(1927) (no, not the killer clown) Although, I thought that was what we were going to watch. This is so much better! Clara Bow is the cutest thing since puppies!!



Tonight was one of the funnest and most interesting nights after almost being one of the most terrible. Here is my buddy, Camilo, (and Kaelie) making me laugh so hard it hurts...


We danced, we laughed, we backed it up. All in a day. 



I leave you with one of my favorite poems, Still I Rise, by Maya Angelou. I read this when I feel like I've given someone or something power over me. No matter how crumby I feel, if I'm breathing at the end of the day...then it couldn't have been the worst day. 

“Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou


You may write me down in history With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt But still, like dust, I'll rise.


Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells Pumping in my living room.
Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, 
Just like hopes springing high, Still I'll rise.
Did you want to see me broken? Bowed head and lowered eyes? 
Shoulders falling down like teardrops. Weakened by my soulful cries.


Does my haughtiness offend you? Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines Diggin' in my own back yard.




You may shoot me with your words, You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness, But still, like air, I'll rise.




Does my sexiness upset you? Does it come as a surprise 
That I dance like I've got diamonds At the meeting of my thighs?




Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise Up from a past that's rooted in pain I rise


I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide, 
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide. 
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear I rise 
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, 
I am the dream and the hope of the slave. 
I rise 
I rise
I rise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment